Group policies for Win98

eirvine eirvine at tpgi.com.au
Sat Jan 13 09:40:04 GMT 2001

Hi Sam,

I use samba in a school too. I have about 1650 individual
accounts.

When giving students and staff accounts I give them a uid
in a particular range (man pw) depending on who they are.
This is all done via a perl script I wrote which calls pw.

eg:
  o	teachers have uid's between 1000 and 2000,
  o	office staff are between 2000 and 3000,
  o	year 7's of this year will be between 13000 and 14000
  o	year 7's of last year will be between 12000 and 13000, etc...

Based on the UID, a root preexec perl script figures out
what config.pol file they should have when they log in, and copies
the appropriate config.pol file to their profile directory.

This UID scheme also has other uses, particularly wrt setting quotas
and end-of-year rollover.

BTW- where is your school?

Eddie.