can't find service

Armand Welsh armand at welshhome.org
Thu Jan 11 19:12:30 GMT 2001

shouldn't the map to guest = Bad Password, be changed to map to guest = Bad
User?  Otherwise, any invalid login, even for known users will be considered
guests.  this can really screw with you if you simply mistyped your
password....

set 'guest account = nobody' or other user with restricted access, so that
you can manage sercurity on the file system, OR use the 'force user =
username' option and 'force group = groupname' option to access the file
system as the specified user and group (this second option, I usually use,
to control user/group ownership in my public directories making public
directories truely public).

<smb.conf man page>
guest only (S)

If this parameter is ´yes´ for a service, then only
guest connections to  the  service  are  permitted.
This parameter will have no affect if "guest ok" or
"public" is not set for the service.
</smb.conf man page>

This tell me that, if you use 'public = yes' or 'guest ok = yes' (synonymous
commands) then non-authenticated users can access the share.  Therefore, the
line 'guest only = yes' and the description from the man file, leaves me to
deduce that only guest users are valid.  non-guest users are not allowed
access.  This behavior is optional, as you don't need this paramater.  It
would be equivalent to assigning an nt share as "Everyone <change>, domain
users <no access>"

----how I would adddress this----
# chmod 0777 /usr/local/samba/public_folder

edit /etc/smb.conf to look like this:
[global]
    workgroup = MY_DOMAIN
    security = domain