Editing the smbpasswd file

Christian Barth barth at cck.uni-kl.de
Wed Feb 28 06:58:09 GMT 2001

> I thought the password sync functionality of Samba was to synchronize
> the passwords in smbpasswd file with those in the passwd file????
Yes, the password sync functionality is to sync the passwd-file if
the smbpasswd is changed.

> The
> Samba FAQs seem to indicate that the ability to change the password in
> the smbpasswd file remotely from a windows machine is there, but I
> can't get it to work.  I get really strange error message on the
> windows side (something I'm sure only the "coders" can figure out) and
> a message in my samba log file that says the function is not yet
> implemented.
>
> I'm running Samba 2.2 alpha 2, which was released after the FAQs came
> out, so it would appear that the function is/was working.  Is there
> something I am missing in my smb.conf file???

As far as I know, you don't need any special paramters in smb.conf to
allow smbpasswd changes from the client. For testing I would recomend
to turn passwd sync off, try the smbpasswd comand, try differnt
clients (NT, W2k, (Workstation, server)) and different samba-
Versions.

Christian