Win2K & Samba & PDC

Jouni Kylä-Nikkilä jouni.kyla-nikkila at cybersoft.fi
Tue Feb 27 07:00:54 GMT 2001

Hi!

I have a problemn with Win2K and joining in domain.
I have Redhat 7.0 (guinness) installed it runs my samba(2.2.0 alpha
2)-server.
Everything worked fine with worgroup otions on but when I chagned
my samba-server to be my master domain server Win2K did not could log in.
I have added my username & password to smbpasswd -file + mine computer with
dollar sign.

My computer sees domain. When windows ask for password & username for
joining to domain it takes few seconds and after that comes error
'the procedure number is out of range'
or
'the remote procedure call failed'.

When i looked my smb.log file it says:
---
[2001/02/27 08:55:19, 0] passdb/smbpass.c:startsmbfilepwent_internal(87)
  startsmbfilepwent_internal: unable to open file
/usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd. Error was Permission denied
[2001/02/27 08:55:19, 0] passdb/passdb.c:iterate_getsam21pwrid(325)
  unable to open sam password database.
---

Why? I have set all permission to my smbpasswd file. It has 'a+wrx'.
I noticed that after windows asked me for password somehow smbpasswd rights
went back to 'u+rx'. What changes this ? Does samba do it itself?

Windows version is Windows 2000 professional, 5.0.2195 build 2195.

Does anyone know what could help me ?

---- my smb.conf ----

[global]
        domain logons = Yes
        domain master = Yes

        workgroup = WORK
        log level = 1
        security = user
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY
        netbios name = MINE
        status = Yes
        os level = 65
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        preferred master = Yes
        interfaces = eth0
        share modes = Yes
	  name resolve order = bcast host lmhost wins
        nt smb support = Yes
        nt pipe support = Yes
        nt acl support = Yes
        announce as = NT