xinetd

Steve Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Mon Feb 26 16:08:36 GMT 2001

On Mon, 26 Feb 2001, James Nord wrote:

> Sorry I cant help out on this but maybe someone can either confirm or
> deny me on the following.

> Wouldn't samba have to create some random data and key generation wach
> time it starts up if using SSL.
> Hence it would be a big performance hit to start an SSLised deamon from
> (x)inetd?

I don't believe Samba's SSL support includes code to generate SSL keys on the
fly... this is something that should be done once for each install of Samba.
The rest of the grabbing of random data needs to be done for each SSL
connection anyway, so running Samba out of inetd doesn't give a performance
hit for /this/ reason.

There are lots of /other/ reasons why running Samba out of inetd is a bad
idea, however, starting with the fact that smbd is a big process and will take
a while to start up when spawned from inetd.  Unless there's a compelling
reason not to, you should always run smbd and nmbd as daemons.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer