Win2K: An Error with No Description Occurred

Scott Merrill smerrill at svfc.org
Mon Feb 26 15:56:40 GMT 2001

Hiya!

I downloaded and compiled the CVS snapshot of Samba 2.2 on Friday,
02-23-2001.  I upgraded my Samba domain to this new version from 2.0.6.

Everything's working fine for my Windows 98 user workstations.  Now, I'm
trying to get a freshly installed Windows 2000 server to join my Samba
controlled domain.

When I enter the domain "svfc" on the Windows 2000 server, I am prompted for
credentials.  I supply the username "root" and the proper password.  About
two minutes pass, and then I receive a pop-up error message stating:

An error with no description has occurred.

I click OK, and then immediately try to join the domain again.  This
produces the same error message.

Originally I had the 'passwd sync' option set to Yes.  I've set it to No,
and commented out the 'passwd program' and 'passwd chat' lines in smb.conf
(and restarted the daemons).  I've tried deleting the MACHINE.SID file, and
deleting and re-adding the Windows 2000 server name from both /etc/passwd
and /etc/smbpasswd.

I've not seen anyone else report this specific error on the list yet; so I'm
hoping it's an easy fix!

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Scott