Is there a difference between alpha releases and CVS snapshots?

Patrick slu at firerun.net
Thu Feb 15 05:35:12 GMT 2001

Nick Urbanik wrote:

> Dear people,
>
> Sorry to take so long to understand this, but I hope that someone can
> clarify it simply.
>
> The 2.2 PDC FAQ has existed for some months (as I recall), explaining
> how to use CVS snapshots as PDC for Win2k clients.  The alpha2 snapshot
> states in WHATSNEW.txt:
>
>      A known problem is this version of Samba will not act as a PDC
>      for Win2k clients
>
> However, alpha2 was released on 29 January 2001, long after the FAQ was
> written.  So is there a difference between alpha releases and CVS
> snapshots?

Yes there is a difference!  The alpha releases are a snapshot of the CVS on that
given day.  If you download samba from CVS (using the commands in the FAQ) then
you will have the current state of the on going development of samba.  So it is
always better to get the CVS version since it will include any fixes since the
last alpha release snapshot.

And by the way,  Samba 2.2 alpha2 will act as a PDC for win2k clients, but it
only works in Legacy mode.  So not all the features of a win2k PDC are cloned
yet.

Patrick