Connecting to a cross-subnet domain

Dan Winslow DWinslow at mcsIT.com
Wed Feb 14 20:49:40 GMT 2001

Hi folks.
	We have samba running on a small subnet. Its being used to mount a
couple linux directories to some NT boxes on the same subnet. We have tried
to become part of the domain ( whose PDC is on another subnet ), without
success. I sent our local network ferret sniffing around, and he tells me
this :

*snip*
1) The WINS is working between networks as I can ping by name any
server on the 192.168.0.0 network and it will resolve its name. This
means the routing is working.

2) When you go to browse a network for resources you communicate with
the WINS server who knows who the Domain Master Browser is. He also
knows who the backup browsers are. I ran a sniffer trace while trying
to browse the MCSOMA domain which would only produce the machines on
the 192.168.10.0 network. What I found is that the Linux Collector box
is announcing himself as the browser for the users on the 192.168.10.0
network to use when browsing for services. I disconnect the Linux
Server and then all the Windows NT boxes are able to browse o.k. What
we need to figure out is a couple of things on the Linux box. First is
he able to use WINS services and is he pointing to the 192.168.0.0
network. Second is there a way to turn off the function of Linux being
a browser.
*end of snip*

So, I can see that there are some announce-browser type settings in the conf
file, but the explaination of what they do is unclear to me. Plus I don't
know squat about NT domain issues and barely anything about samba excpt the
most basic. Any clues that could be handed to me will be appreciated.

Thanks
Dan Winslow