Samba 2.2.2 PDC Logon with Windows XP Professional

Warren Shepherd lists.samba-ntdom at zylex.co.nz
Tue Dec 18 13:20:05 GMT 2001

Hello

I've got a problem with Windows XP Pro logging into a Samba 2.2.2 PDC.
Unfortunately it's a production server so it's very urgent that I fix
this, people complaining, etc.

I got through various hassles of problems with joining the domain,
however the XP Pro workstation in question (named 'Century') has now
successfully joined the domain, showing the "Welcome to the Zylex
domain" dialog box. The computer has successfully rebooted as it says it
should with the "You must restart for the changes to take effect -
yes/no" box.

After the reboot however when you try to login to the domain, the
following dialog box is displayed.

Logon Message:
Windows cannot connect to the domain either because the domain
controller is down or otherwise unavailable, or because your computer
account was not found. Please try again later. If this message continues
to appear, please contact your system administrator for assistance.

There's no noticeable delay in between hitting enter and the box being
displayed.

I've made a computer account on the Samba PDC using the following
commands:

useradd -s /bin/false -d /dev/null century\$ (also tried without the
slash just incase).
Smbpasswd -a -m century

Samba has been restarted at every stage. Various configurations have
been tried (including encrypt passwords being on and off). WinXP
SignOrSeal is off (Registry patch applied, and changed manually). My
98SE Laptop can log into it fine with the same username and password I
am using to log into this machine. The 98 machine is not logged in when
I'm trying to log into this one. I've had multiple 9x machines logging
into the domain successfully.

What am I missing? Can anybody help me?