Domain security, Solaris 2.6->Win2K (Samba 2.2)
jdandrea at superlink.net
Wed Dec 12 20:50:02 GMT 2001
Greetings! I've been working diligently to get a samba installation
working with a domain/PDC on a different subnet from mine, and we're
closer, but then this isn't horseshoes. :-)
Here's what we've done so far:
* We've got domain security set up in smb.conf, per the infamous
* We've joined said domain successfully. :-D
* I have just been given an account on said domain.
NOW, I figured I'd try to connect to my samba host. The expectation I had
was that it would authenticate me relative to the domain (I still have a
UNIX account with the same name so it will match up in Samba 2.2).
I decided to use smbclient first:
smbclient \\my.domain.fqdn\share -Ujdandrea
Instead, it wanted my smbpasswd password (from when I had it set up for
user security). Interestingly, when I gave it that, it told me the domain
was the new domain I had added. But I didn't authenticate w/that domain.
Ahh! Perhaps I should lose my smbpasswd entry. Bad move. I still couldn't
So I decided to be explicit and try -UDOMAIN\jdandrea ... no dice.
I checked the log files. Nothing useful there. Kicked up the log levels
and tried again. Still nothing providing any hints.
Somehow I get the suspicion it's pilot error here, but I'm also wondering
in the back of my head if being on another subnet is tripping me up. I
sure hope not, but anyway ... clues welcome!
More information about the samba-ntdom