Samba server 'joining' Win 2000 domain

Ken Harris ken at escfx.com
Tue Dec 4 14:12:05 GMT 2001

I'm trying to make this Samba server join a Win2k domain.

I run 'smbpasswd -j ...', and it says it's OK, but then wbinfo
doesn't work.  I verified the 'join' on the Windoze side by using
the 'computer management' tool 'Active Directory Users and Computers':
it sees the machine (with OS "NT 4").

When I run "wbinfo", I get:

ken at perth:~ 102% wbinfo -u
Error looking up domain users
Exit 1
ken at perth:~ 103% wbinfo -t
Could not check secret
Exit 1
ken at perth:~ 104% wbinfo -m
Could not list trusted domains
Exit 1

	In /var/log/samba/log. , I get :

[2001/12/04 13:58:23, 3]
nsswitch/winbindd_util.c:establish_connections(367)
  could not find any domain controllers for domain ESCFX

I'm running Mandrake 8.1 w/ the Samba 2.2.2 rpms:

samba-common-2.2.2-3.3mdk
samba-client-2.2.2-3.3mdk
samba-2.2.2-3.3mdk
samba-winbind-2.2.2-3.3mdk
samba-doc-2.2.2-3.3mdk
sambapdf-1.0-2mdk
gnosamba-0.3.3-5mdk

I have /etc/samba/smb.conf set up for domains:

   workgroup = ESCFX
   security = domain
   password server = *

Any help would be appreciated.