Samba server 'joining' Win 2000 domain

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Wed Dec 5 06:05:04 GMT 2001

Hi Ken,

The best way to setup winbind is to:

1) stop all samba services:
# service smb stop
# service winbind stop

2)Join the domain:
# smbpasswd -j <DOMAIN> -R <pdc> -U <Domain Admin User>

3)Start the samba services:
# service smb start
# service winbind start
(the winbind service, which runs the winbindd daemon, needs to be
running for wbinfo to work)

4)Test:
wbinfo -t

Also, you might want to read the docs on winbind at
http://mandrakeuser.org/connect/csamab5.html#winbind.

Please don't hesitate to reply if you have trouble. Also, I haven't
tested winbind against a Windows DC, so I could be wrong ....

Buchan

Ken Harris wrote:

>I'm trying to make this Samba server join a Win2k domain.
>
>I run 'smbpasswd -j ...', and it says it's OK, but then wbinfo
>doesn't work.  I verified the 'join' on the Windoze side by using
>the 'computer management' tool 'Active Directory Users and Computers':
>it sees the machine (with OS "NT 4").
>
>When I run "wbinfo", I get:
>
>ken at perth:~ 102% wbinfo -u
>Error looking up domain users
>Exit 1
>ken at perth:~ 103% wbinfo -t
>Could not check secret
>Exit 1
>ken at perth:~ 104% wbinfo -m
>Could not list trusted domains
>Exit 1
>
>	In /var/log/samba/log. , I get :
>
>[2001/12/04 13:58:23, 3]
>nsswitch/winbindd_util.c:establish_connections(367)
>  could not find any domain controllers for domain ESCFX
>
>I'm running Mandrake 8.1 w/ the Samba 2.2.2 rpms:
>
>samba-common-2.2.2-3.3mdk
>samba-client-2.2.2-3.3mdk
>samba-2.2.2-3.3mdk
>samba-winbind-2.2.2-3.3mdk
>samba-doc-2.2.2-3.3mdk
>sambapdf-1.0-2mdk
>gnosamba-0.3.3-5mdk
>
>I have /etc/samba/smb.conf set up for domains:
>
>   workgroup = ESCFX
>   security = domain
>   password server = *
>
>Any help would be appreciated.

Cellphone * Work       +27 82 472 2231 * +27 21 808 2497 ext 202