2 Samba Servers on same subnet

MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1) don_mccall at hp.com
Thu Apr 26 13:38:24 GMT 2001

Hello Steven,
This should be ok - since you are using two different workgroups for the
samba servers, then each samba server can be the preferred master for it's
respective workgroup, and shouldn't contend with each other.  Your clients
WILL notice a difference, however, as since they are on the same subnet, the
browse masters for the two workgroups will exchange browse list information;
that means, essentially that when your pc's go into their network
neighborhood, they would then see two 'domains' and could click on either
one, and see the machines in that 'domain'.
I don't think this should be a problem for you.  As for wins support, I
suspect you would want to continue to have only one of the samba servers
provide wins support for your clients, as samba is not currently able to
replicate wins info between two wins servers.
Your clients in the old workgroup should not 'run afoul' of the new pdc,
since logon requests, etc are handled in a domain specific manner (ie, logon
requests look for a logon server only in the DOMAIN that the client pc is a
part of, and so a pdc from a different domain would not respond...)

Good luck,
Don