Square One

kat kathee at mindiq.com
Mon Apr 23 12:04:43 GMT 2001

"xinetd" is a WONDERFUL replacement to the tried and true inetd daemon. It
has built in so much of the security that had to be "added" to inetd after
the fact.  It is fairly simple and yet very elegant in nature and does the
job as well, if not better than inetd.  It was not "RedHat's" decision to
replace inetd -- check on just about every release of SuSE since 6.x or
several other distros which have all implemented xinetd for
sometime.  RedHat was last to fall in .  Solaris and AIX are other versions
of the OS which also support xinetd.  But I digress...

First of all, download and install/upgrade 7.1 of RedHat as it fixes MANY
bugs in the original 7.0.  Although I am running 7.0 on my laptop and most
of my servers, it is greatly modified to fix all the problems 7.0 had
(broken gcc to name one)

As for not finding /etc/hosts?  Strange, as it should always be there.  As
for hostname?  Never saw that in any RedHat distro unless you speak of the
command itself.  As for WHERE is the hostname kept?  Check in the magic
"/etc/sysconfig" directory for LOTS of goodies.  Look at the "network"
script and you will see you perm. IP address as well as hostname.  Most of
these files are managed from "linuxconf" which is what you should be using.

The irony of all this -- if you select the rpms of samba with RH7, you will
get 2.0.7, which is fine unless you want to be a PDC, but that is another
topic.  Try "rpm -qa | grep samba" and see if any packages with samba,
client or otherwise are even installed.  You can then use linuxconf to
configure it.  Swat will also be there but will not be running unless samba
is started.  Most of these are installed in "abnormal" places -- i.e. NOT
in /usr/local as one might expect.  In many cases, RH uses "/var" to
install these extra packages.  Since I built my samba from the various 2.2
trees (now the release 2.2) I did not have these issues.  Well, I take that
back, I do have 2 servers running 2.0.7 in my mix of a PDC with 2.2 in the
domain.

My suggestion -- REMOVE the samba rpms that come with redhat and download
the clean 2.2 tarball.  Go to the "source" subdirectory and do:

./configure
make
make install

After that, you will find all the necessary files in /usr/local/samba.

A final not on xinetd -- take a look at "/etc/xinetd.d" as a directory and
you will find the files that configure each service.  Simple info --
"disable = yes/no" in a config file for xinetd services --  well, do I need
to explain what that would do?  Also, these files, for each service,
replace the need for tcpwrappers, however, I happen to run both.  xinetd
will look at hosts.allow/deny as well as its own config files.  Very handy!

Hope this helps,
Cheers
Kathee