downloading printer driver files and Samba2.2

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at math.utexas.edu
Fri Apr 20 21:41:52 GMT 2001

In my previous post, I was looking for a way to set up the [print$]
drivers by hand from the linux side.  The Samba-HOWTO-Collection does
provide some information on how to automatically set up the drivers for
Samba using an NT4 client, so presumably a W2K client can do this, too.

For lack of anything else to try, I thought I would give this a shot, but
there is an immediate logistic concern.  According to the
Samba-HOWTO-Collection,

The [print$] share should be set up with the following sub-directories:

     [print$]
           |-W32X86                ; "Windows NT x86"
           |-WIN40                 ; "Windows 95/98"
           |-W32ALPHA              ; "Windows NT Alpha_AXP"
           |-W32MIPS               ; "Windows NT R4000"
           |-W32PPC                ; "Windows NT PowerPC"

hookay, what about for W2K?  Also, is there anything magical about these
names, and finally, if I use W2K to set up the printer drivers on the
Samba server, will this also take care of the W98/ME machines? Speaking of
Win ME, does this use the same directory as W95/98?