Setting up a Samba 2.2 Print Server.

Marc Harding mharding at ecwebworks.com
Mon Apr 16 12:08:14 GMT 2001

On our current 2.0.7 Samba Server, I have 3 Remote Printers configured
using lpd.  They are working fine without copying drivers down (just doing
local installs for drivers).  Last night I tried rolling over to Samba 2.2
from yesterdays CVS.  I was unable to get the Printers to work.  Anyone
existing could still print to the shared printers, however, I could not
upload the drivers or add the printer to new machines.  It would say the
driver was not correct for the OS or it was not the correct printer.  When
I tried to administrate the printers, I could see the files copying to the
print$ share, but then it says

Unable to install Lexmark Optra T614, Windows NT 4.0 or 2000, Intel driver,
Operation could not be completed.

I have been testing Samba 2.2 at home and on a test box, where I have been
able to administrate.  I have tried to compare differences, with no
luck.  The main differences that I can think of off the top of my head is
that my test printers have always been hanging off the LPT port, but the
live environment are IP based printers.

When I attempt the driver upload I am connected as root.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.  If any more information is
required, please feel free to ask.

Marc Harding
mharding at ecwebworks.com