2.2 release imminent.

andre.doehn at econia.com andre.doehn at econia.com
Tue Apr 10 08:39:29 GMT 2001

yes - there still strange things in the version 2.2 a3 that I cant get to
work and I cant live with ;-))

(1) win98 password problem: i cant set a default password with a win98
client (see log), when I leave the
smbpasswd emtpy i can change this to a new one???

log:
smbd[10850]: smbd/chgpasswd.c:check_oem_password(785)
smbd[10850]: check_oem_password: incorrect password length (1032140223).

here is my global section:

[global]
        security = user
        status = yes
        workgroup = NTDOM
        netbios name = cgn-pdc
        interfaces = eth0 lo
        bind interfaces only = yes
        server string = Samba %v running on %h
        wins support = yes
        time server = yes
        encrypt passwords = yes
        domain logons = yes
        domain master = yes
        local master = yes
        preferred master = yes
        logon script = scripts\logon.bat
        logon home = \\%L\homes
        logon path = \\%L\Profiles\%U
        logon drive = z:
        domain admin group = @adm
        add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -g smbcl -c Machine -d
/dev/null -s /bin/false %m
        share modes=no
        os level=65
        keepalive = 60
        name resolve order = wins bcast host
        log level = 3
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY
        force create mode = 0640
        force directory mode = 0750

(2) strange filepermissions for profiles: in the subdir of a win2k profile
which was stored on a samba share i get
strange permissions for example user490067:

[Profiles]
        comment = Windows User Profiles
        path = /share/profiles
        guest ok = no
        browseable = no
        writeable = yes
        create mask = 0644
        directory mask = 0755
        locking = no

here are the permissions:
root at cgn-lnx06:/share/profiles/user490067/Start Menu/Programs > ls -l
total 8
drw-r--r--   5 user4900 users        4096 Apr  9 19:07 Accessories
drw-r--r--   2 user4900 users        4096 Apr  9 19:07 Startup

and here are the permissions for:
root at cgn-lnx06:/share/profiles/user490067/Start Menu > ls -l
total 4
drwxr-xr-x   4 user4900 users        4096 Apr  9 19:07 Programs

you see the difference: the subdirs Accessories & Startup need executable
permission
to save the hole profile on this samba share. we are about to kick out the
last NT machine here..
pls give me any comments.

thnx!
bye
andre

                    Jeremy Allison
                    <jeremy at valinux.com>           To:     Samba technical <samba-technical at samba.org>, Samba NTDOM
                    Sent by:                       <samba-ntdom at samba.org>, Samba list <samba at samba.org>
                    samba-ntdom-admin at lists        cc:
                    .samba.org                     Subject:     2.2 release imminent.

                    09.04.2001 20:11

Well, as Andrew shouted at me again this weekend it's getting
to be about that time.... :-) :-).

Yep, we're thinking we should do an official 2.2 Samba release
early next week, so if you have anything you can't live
with, now would be a good time to tell us....

:-).

It's been gestating longer than an elephant, so it's really
time to let it out into the world and do its own thing :-).

Feedback welcome (nay, *required* ! :-) :-).

Cheers,

           Jeremy Allison,
           Samba Team.