(Was Caution Stoopid Newbie) - A better (Longer) explanation

Mark Haney mhaney at info4cars.com
Mon Apr 9 15:17:54 GMT 2001

>>it is logging into the Samba based domain - however this domain is the one
>>the
>>NT box used to be PDC for ( remember I changed the
>>domain name on the NT box - hours before getting the message not
o.....  )
>>now the NT machine is in the domain "MyDomain2" while the samba machine
>>is "MyDomain" problem being the NT machine used to be PDC for "MyDomain"
>>hence me thinking there was still some link between the two machines and
>>wanting to reformat the NT box

Ah, now I see the issue.  Don't do that.  It will make 98 look for the IP
address of the last known domain controller, as well as the SID for that
controller, if memory serves me.  Removing the networking components will
most certainly fix that, however, why don't you try making the samba domain
name different? It's easier than changing the domain on an NT box and is
much less messier. :)

Also, make sure you change the domain the 98 box is logging in to.  Test
that and see if you can log in.  That way you don't have to go thru the mess
of re-installing components.
 HOpe this helps.