Caution Stoopid Newbie

Greg J. Zartman greg at kwikfind.com
Wed Apr 4 23:20:22 GMT 2001

Jet,

I think people can get all worked up about the different versions and which
should be used by the average users.  What it boils down to is this:
Version 2.0.7 is the current production release and is therefore officially
stable.  If you are in an environment that is sensitive to stability, then
use that version.  With that said, I think that for just about anyone else,
version 2.2 alphaxx is the best solution. Especially if you are setting up a
domain that included Win2k machines.  Yes, there is development going on
with the code, and not all of it is 100% stable.   From what I've seen,
however, the samba team does an excellent job of keeping the code stable.

I started from scratch with Linux (Mandrake 7.2) in January of this year and
downloaded Samba from CVS right off the bat.  The only problems that I have
run into is with my own mistakes.  The code has worked flawlessly.  If you
are in a non-critical environment, I wouldn't hesitate to use Samba 2.2.

Greg