Caution Stoopid Newbie

Mark Haney mhaney at info4cars.com
Wed Apr 4 15:07:10 GMT 2001

> For basic networks, Samba 2.0.6 will work as a PDC. There are some
> shortcomings, but I forget what they are, and it hasn't bothered me
> either.  I use uit at home with a network of Win95, Win98 and NT
> machines.  Here is the global section of my smb.conf

Don't listen to this.  2.0.6 doesn't work well enough as a PDC to make it
worthwhile, especially if you are new to this.  When we say it works as a
PDC we mean that samba can act a a central authenticating authority for
Windows NT domains.  In this case it's the Primary Domain Controller. And
unless you have an NT domain, don't worry about it to much.

What kind of environment are we talking about here anyway?  It sounds to me
that if you are asking what a PDC is, you don't have an NT domain.