Samba and Multiple Shares

eirvine eirvine at tpgi.com.au
Tue Apr 3 12:27:10 GMT 2001

Hi Nigel,

Nigel Moore wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am in the process of turning our internal network into a Linux driven
> network, rather than a Win NT network for security and reliability reasons.

Great.

> At the moment on the NT box we have all of our users and groups, we also
> have the file storage (home dirs, client space, sales space, marketing
> space, graphics space etc etc)
>
> Each area has its own share: eg
>
> Sales
> Marketing
> Human Resources
> Graphics
> Clients
>
> Each of the shares has a group (eg Sales Group, Marketing Group - all NT
> Groups)
>
> So when I add a user (eg fred, and he is in Sales, I add him to the Sales
> Group, and possibly the Marketing Group, but he doesn't get access to
> Clients, Graphics and Human Resources Drives)

Linux has users and groups too, and Samba supports this.
No problem.

> How is the easiest way to do this under Samba2.2.0Alpha2 ??

Well, you use the usual Linux tools to put users into groups
(I'm not a linux guy - maybe just use linuxconf for this?).

Make a new unix directory for each share, and give it the appropriate
ownership and permissions.

You might also want to check out the man page for smb.conf, especially
the "valid user" and "force group" directives.

Be aware, however, that Samba2.2 is alpha code. Domain logons with
Win2K are very, very, very alpha.  I've been using Samba for three
years now, and I haven't moved to 2.2 yet.

Eddie.