this discussion reminds me... (Was: Re: TNG-stable)

Aaron D. Brooks abrooks at css.tayloru.edu
Thu Sep 28 18:30:33 GMT 2000

On Thu, 28 Sep 2000, Cole, Timothy D. wrote:

> 	I have this odd recurring dream that we're all at a cocktail party,
> and the building is burning down.  Luke is madly tying the tablecloths
> together to make a rope to lower out the window, while Jeremy is running up
> and down the hall looking for a telescoping aluminum ladder.
>
> 	A couple minutes later, Jeremy runs back into the room, announcing
> that he's found out there's a ladder in the custodial closet down the hall,
> and asks if anyone has the keys.
>
> 	Luke tells him to forget about it, he's nearly done with the
> tablecloths, but Jeremy insists that the keys are around here somewhere, and
> points out that the tablecloths are too short to reach the ground (we're
> three stories up).
>
> 	Luke insisted that he saw a ladder out on the grounds (near the
> maintainence shed) when he drove up, and that a five-foot drop wasn't so bad
> anyway.  Jeremy insisted that they already had a ladder here, the tablecloth
> probably wouldn't be strong enough (Luke protested that we wouldn't know
> until we tried), they just needed to find the bloody keys, and why couldn't
> Luke help with that (apparently someone in the room was supposed to have the
> keys).
>
> 	Luke and Jeremy started screaming at each other; the room erupted
> into a huge argument.  Luke finally threw down the tablecloths in disgust
> and jumped out the window.

Timothy,
	I think this is the most accurate picture that one could have
without reading every message on the mail lists. Actually, this is
probably even more accurate as reading the mail list could distract you
from what's really happening.

	I think the important thing to keep in mind is that both Luke and
Jeremy are working for us. They are trying to help us out. I am desparatly
aware that the guests (us) at the party are largely panicing or busy
eating chips and dip. What useful thing are we doing? Nothing. This is not
to say that nobody other than Luke and Jeremy are contributing either. On
the contrary there are people who contribut massively to SaMBa. It's the
rest of us who whine for features and gripe about misbehaviors but don't
contribut. And don't play the I don't program, I can't code song. There is
a lot of documenting to be done, too. If we get creative, everyone can be
involved. OpenSource is all about contribution. It is all about making the
tools you use, yours.

> 	We never did find out if anyone had the keys, because the cheese
> wheel (now on the floor) came to life and started singing Barry Manilow
> tunes.

On another note:
At this point I'm pretty sure I herniated myself laughing very, very hard.
;)

-Aaron

+------->
Aaron D. Brooks,  765 . 998 . 5168, abrooks [SHIFT"2"] css.tayloru.edu
Computing Systems Resource Manager, Taylor University,  CSS Department
PGP public key: http://www.css.tayloru.edu/~abrooks/pgpkey/abrooks.asc
PGP key fingerprint = 75 83 D2 9C 44 C7 00 C8  07 A1 6C F0 BD 04 C0 60