SAmba on VAX in a NT environnement!

TIXIER Jean Luc jean_luc.tixier at libertysurf.fr
Tue Sep 26 07:47:14 GMT 2000

	Hello every body

I have a beginner problem.

I try to install samba on a Vax and, simply, exchange shares with PC under
WNT4 witch is connected to a WNT4 server architecture.

I try several configuration but I still having the same problem :

When I browse the VAX, it ask me a username and a password.

At the end, I try to enter an username in the smbpasswd.dat file but nothing
better.

Here the result of smbpasswd command :

Thanks for the help

Jean Luc TIXIER

SAMBA> smbpasswd -a jtixier test
doing parameter encrypt passwords = yes
doing parameter guest account = JTIXIER
pm_process() returned Yes
vms_stat: st = 0, mode = 100777
          size = 132
Added interface ip=10.0.16.60 bcast=10.0.17.255 nmask=255.255.254.0
getpwnam: name = "jtixier"
get_uai: for username = "jtixier"
Convert to UNIX: $DISK1:[SAMBA] -> /$disk1/samba
UNIX path: /$disk1/samba
get_uai: $getuai returns UIC = 00010004
         priv = FFFFFFFF FFFFFFFF
getpwnam: name = "jtixier"
startsmbfilepwent: unable to open file /samba_root/private/smbpasswd.dat
unable to open smb password database.
startsmbfilepwent: unable to open file /samba_root/private/smbpasswd.dat
add_smbfilepwd_entry: unable to open file.
Failed to add entry for user jtixier.
Failed to change password entry for jtixier

SAMBA> dir/sec private.dir
Directory $DISK1:[SAMBA]
PRIVATE.DIR;1        [1,1]                 (RWE,RWED,,RWED)

SAMBA> dir/sec
Directory $DISK1:[SAMBA.PRIVATE]
SMBPASSWD.DAT;1      [1,1]                 (RWD,RWD,,)

Here my smb.conf :

[global]
netbios name = TSTSAMBA
workgroup = BUT_USERS