Future/end of TNG (was Re: I don't understand something ...)

Kevin Colby kevinc at grainsystems.com
Mon Sep 25 23:01:14 GMT 2000

Gerald Carter wrote:

> We are working on porting code form TNG over to
> HEAD for domain controlling.  Jean-Francois has already
> been working on porting the necessary codefor Win2k domain
> logons (no native mode of course).
>
> If anyone wants to help, join samba-technical and let's
> get started.

This is terrific!

Unfortunately, there are no notices in any public forum
that I have seen that indicate this to be the case.
I also read -technical (non-digest), and I have to admit
I haven't seen much on the matter there either
(about DC development in general, that is).

I think what users are concerned about is the lack of any
commitment to providing this functionality.  A timetable
would be even better, but right now when people ask about
using Samba as a PDC and adding 2000 clients, all anyone can
say is that TNG used to do it, but that branch is now dead.
Imagine how that sounds to someone who has a Samba PDC in
production use and is told that 2000 client support is now
a "must-have".  Whether or not Samba can be used effectively
in the long-term is called into question, and lacking any
details, its use simply cannot be defended.  The result:
All those hard-won NT converts are now being forced back
to Redmond for a copy of 2000 Server.

I'm not complaining so much about the development as the
lack of communication from the Samba Team about where DC
is going (and when) in a post-TNG world.

	- Kevin Colby
	  kevinc at grainsystems.com