TNG-stable

Gerald Carter gcarter at valinux.com
Mon Sep 25 21:04:52 GMT 2000

Karl Denninger wrote:

> Luke is free to express his opinion, particularly when
> it impacts on his efforts.
>
> You are free to ignore them if you wish.
>
> Science - and indeed, any study of anything - is not
> advanced by your pearl of wisdom. In fact, it is
> advanced by exactly the opposite.

Karl,

Apparently you have have either not been aware or
have ignored the  background with this and therefore
I will boil it down for you.

I promised myself I was not going to be drug back into
the again, but here goes.

Luke, please listen to what I have to say.  You are a
very good friend, but I am going to state the obvious.
This is my personal official stance.

<synopsis>

  Luke decided he could not work within the boundaries
  of the main samba code branch.  Therefore he was offered
  a development branch for the sole purpose of continuing
  his work and that would would be evaluated (as everyone's
  is) before bringing it back into the HEAD branch code.

  However, Luke admits to basically forking the code,
  starting a community, and the dropping it.  It you
  are upset with anyone, talk to Luke.  IMO, it was
  irresponsible to fork the code and the drop it.  That's
  what Luke did.  period.  Now no one is able to support
  the community he developed.  Is that our fault?  No.
  It was Luke's decision.

  But perhaps you think I'm being to harsh?  Let's look
  at Luke's position on the pam_ntdom code he released as
  well.  Or maybe other branches that resulted in the
  same thing

  Now to the question of whether or not Samba will ever
  be able to act as a PDC, the answer is yes.  We are
  working on it.  If you would like to help, please jump
  in.  We're really not a proud bunch and will gladly
  accept help.  Really. :-)

  The reason that Luke's comments are innapropriate is that
  you are only seeing the person who is yelling the loudest.

</synopsis>

> If you are unable to stand the public heat of criticism,
> even heated criticism, get the hell out of the kitchen.

I don't know where you got this one from, but if you
think that Jeremy can't take and accept constructism
criticism, then you have no perspective at all.

If you have contructive things to say then, that's fine.
But your personal attacks are unnecessary.

Cheers, jerry
 \/    http://www.valinux.com  VA Linux Systems    gcarter at valinux.com
       http://www.samba.org       SAMBA Team           jerry at samba.org
       http://www.eng.auburn.edu/~cartegw