unix password syncing with latest TNG cvs

Brian Wilson wilson at sentrisystems.com
Thu Sep 21 19:04:12 GMT 2000

I have successfully installed the latest CVS of Samba TNG (dated
9/19/2000). I haven't gotten around to testing everything, but the
main stuff I wanted to get working (roaming profiles, getting win2k
boxes to join the domain, etc) are working. One thing that I've
noticed that isn't working is unix password syncing.  Here is
my scenario:

When I have the following in my smb.conf:
   passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
   passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n *ReType*new*UNIX*password*
%n\n *passwd:*
   all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*
   unix password sync = Yes

I get this in log.samr:
  load_name_map: Added entry: unixname=root,
ntname=SSTEST\Administrator type=User
  getsmbfilepwent: returning passwd entry for unix user lappytop$,
unix uid 10041
  getsmbfilepwent: returning passwd entry for unix user homey, unix
uid 10042
  Password change for user: homey
  Dochild for user homey (uid=0,gid=0)
  expect: Input/output error
  Response 2 incorrect
  Child failed to change password: homey
  000000 samr_io_r_chgpasswd_user

And get this error on the win2k side when trying to change the
password via ctrl-alt-del/Change Password:
  "Username or old password is incorrect.  Blah, blah...".

The funny thing is that the password actually does get changed on the
unix side, but not on the samba side.  Now, if I take out the "unix
password synx" entries in smb.conf and try to change the password
again, it works fine, but it only changes the samba password (of
course) and didn't sync it to /etc/passwd.  I see this as a big
problem because I need  my nt and unix passwords synced for services
like mail, ssh, etc.

Does anyone have any ideas on what may be causing this or a
workaround.  I wouldn't even mind running some script as a cronjob
to grab smbpasswd's and sync them into /etc/passwd but I'm not even
sure if that is possible.  Anyone?

Thanks,
Brian

Brian Wilson                          wilson at sentrisystems.com
Systems Administrator                 919.239.5517 / 888.481.8986
Sentrisystems.com, Inc.               2626 Glenwood Ave., Suite 265
http://sentrisystems.com              Raleigh, North Carolina  27608