Sharing Win9x Resources

Ken Barber kenb at nwcc.edu
Tue Sep 5 16:11:08 GMT 2000

Dave,

You don't say which version of Samba you're using.

My top student worker and I just spent a week and a half setting up a little
lab in an unused computer classroom playing with various versions of Samba.
We needed to do something similar to what you want:  give domain users
rights/permissions on the local machines.

We found that there's a difference between a PDC authenticating a user
logging into the domain, and the PDC responding to a request from a
workstation that wants to assign rights/permissions to a user.

All of the current releases of Samba (2.0.7, the soon-to-be-released next
version, and TNG) will do the former without problems.  However, only TNG
will to the latter.

We had a lot of fun playing with it and learned a lot, but there's no way
we're going to put alpha software (i.e., TNG) on a production server!  We
decided to install NT on an old, slow box for a domain controller and then
use the Samba box (running the current stable release, thank you) for file
and print services.

Good luck.

Ken Barber
Network Administrator