inter-network

Simon Allaway simona at uchicago.edu
Fri Oct 27 02:27:47 GMT 2000

John Doe wrote:

> ok, I have a second question.  Is it possible to set it up so that if a
> machine is broadcasting on a network (seperated from a private network by a
> Samba server) that the broadcast can also be seen on the private network
> (and vice versa)?

I don't thinks that that is possible by default. From my experiences
with DSL (sharing a connection via NAT) broadcast packets don't get
routed.

I had a scenario where my private network IP addresses were being
provided via DHCP, but also the DSL side of the network was too (by the
telco on the other end). Linux and Windows broadcasts were denied across
the two subnets. If they allowed them then there'd be a dhcp nightmare.

But, saying that, a more detailed description of what you are trying to
achieve would be useful.

Simon