Samba FAQ

Anders C . Thorsen anders at aae.wisc.edu
Fri Oct 20 02:42:19 GMT 2000

Well.. the basic idea is to use xml, and probably php as parser for it.
Here is my arguement / idea:
By using xml, we can have each Q/A in one file, with misc. information
even one per q/a per language. This enables us to have small vi-able files,
which everyone can edit, and submit.

Each entry (q/a) is linked to a section such as "printing", "ntdom", "general"
etc. They also have author information (name, email), revision, date changed and
language. The rev. gives us the possibility to warn someone that's reading the
german language entry that he/she is reading rev. 3 while the english is rev. 4
[per definition every entry (and most updated) is available in english. ]

BTW: section-sample in norwegian ("no") enclosed.

see the "how-to-submit.xml" file as example of an entry and "sections.xml" as
example of the sections / toc. The id allows us to alter sorting / order without
changing all entries.

The types of url's intended are "outside", for sites like www.linux.com,
"samba" for pages within the /samba on all samba mirrors. That is, if the
samba team are interrested to make such a FAQ part of their web-pages.
and "lists" which should refer to the list-archive. This allows us to point
people in the right direction for further information.

Suggestions are welcome.
also please note that the two .xml files are me playing with the idea, and
the final content / structure can be very different, as long as tou all come
with your ideas.

I was hoping that someone of the samba-team would read this and comment on it.

--Anders