Login Win95 into NT server through SAMBA

David Bannon D.Bannon at latrobe.edu.au
Sun Oct 15 23:26:46 GMT 2000

At 12:25 PM 13/10/2000 -0700, Patrick Ouellette wrote:
>No response to the last time I posted this, so I'll try again
>I'm quite certain I can't be the first one to attempt and/or work through
this.

>Does anyone have a working example of an smb.conf that does:
>- allows a Win9x box to login to the NT domain properly through SAMBA
>- runs the NT login script for the Win95 box through SAMBA
>- allows the shares on the Win9x box to be viewed, access and browsed by

I think you are missing the point of a central (samba or NT) served based
domain. By keeping all shared resourses on the server you have a better
chance of them secure and being available when needed. Its the third item
in you list that is the problem. Having other people looking at a w95 box
for shares is insecure, difficult to administer, unsafe in that w95 boxes
crash, might be turned off by an operator and have an inferior file system
that unix or ntfs. Can you consider having the shares on the samba server ?

David

David
David Bannon                      D.Bannon at latrobe.edu.au
School of Biochemistry            Phone 61 03 9479 2197
La Trobe University, Plenty Rd,   Fax   61 03 9479 2467
Bundoora, Vic, Australia, 3083    http://bioserve.latrobe.edu.au