Changing passwords from NT workstation

Eric Davis davis at ooi.net
Fri Oct 13 18:51:27 GMT 2000

Andrew R Reid wrote:

> I am running Linux 2.2.12-14 and samba 2.0.6 rpms.
>
> My password changing works, and this is the samba.conf that I use.
>
> # Samba config file created using SWAT
> # from localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1)
> # Date: 2000/06/19 15:22:20
>
> # Global parameters
> [global]
>         workgroup = C_P_PLATING
>         server string = Samba 2.0.6 Server
>         encrypt passwords = Yes
>         passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
>         passwd chat = *password* %n\n *password* %n\n *updated*
>         password level = 3
>         username level = 3
>         unix password sync = Yes

This works to a point.  It is changing the system password, but not the
password in the sambapasswd file...  Very strange.  They are not staying
in sync.  I do not see anything in my logs, so I will up the log level
and see what happens.  If anyone can shed any light on it, I would
appreciate it.

I have an Origin 200 running Irix 6.5.7 using samba 2.0.7 for Irix. I
have
about 15 Windows NT 4.0 Workstations and am trying to get it so the
users
can change their passwords from the NT Workstations.
--
Eric Davis
System/Network Analyst
email: davis at ooi.net