NIS/NT encrypted authentication

Anders C. Thorsen anders at aae.wisc.edu
Mon Nov 13 10:48:14 GMT 2000

On Mon, Nov 13, 2000 at 02:07:49PM -0800, Chuck Glatt wrote:
> NIS runs here mainly.  We need to extract Windows users' plain-text
> password from the NT Hash and convert it to the Samba server's UNIX
> password hash.  What's going on to make this happen?

Not going to happend (except for possibly a dictionary cracker)

Easiest to do is to have Samba update the passwords (look at smb.conf manpage
and David Bannons FAQs at www.samba.org look under documentation

BTW: samba stores encrypted passwords in the NT Hash for encrypted
authentification and cannot use /etc/passwd encryption.
(unless encrypted passwords = no, which gives you more problems.
again: The FAQs)

--Anders