Honouring eXecute permissions on NT?

Shawn Wright swright at mail.sls.bc.ca
Thu Nov 2 03:25:26 GMT 2000

Hello,

I am testing a RH 6.2 box running Samba 2.06 for the purposes of
migrating about 400 user shares from an existing NT 4 box. These
are student accounts, so we currently have very stringent
permissions for each user share based on group memberships,
etc, and set using NT xcacls. In most cases, uses have ONLY the
following file/dir permissions: rwd/rwxd, ie: they cannot execute
any programs stored in these locations.
All PCs are NT 4 also, so similar restrictions are used to lock down
the local files. The problem I've found is that I cannot get Samba
shares to behave in the same way - removing the execute
permissions from a file still allows NT to run the program. Is there
any way to accomplish this?

tia.
Shawn Wright, I.T. Manager
Shawnigan Lake School