smbpasswd file

Kevin Chan yoshers at hotmail.com
Fri May 26 19:07:04 GMT 2000

FYI:  I am running Samba 2.0.6 as a PDC for NT 4.0 SP6 workstations.

I have been cleaning up the lack of uniformity on my samba server and came
upon an odd occurrence in the smbpasswd file.  The last two fields of each
entry are supposedly for Account Flags and Last Change Time.

I have been using a PERL script to add users that I have written, which uses
the smbpasswd command and it creates the entry perfectly.  However, there
are some entries from a previous administrator which look like this:

username:uid:correct hash:correct hash:Full Name, misc
info:\\domain\username

The old administrator told me that he used the pwdump utility to convert the
old password format to the present Samba format.

Although there have been no problems with the users, I would like them to
look the same, so is there some specific way that I should uniform them?  Do
I have to do it manually?  Could there be problems if I don't change the
incorrect format?  I think these are the main questions.

Thanks a lot for taken a look at this somewhat silly question.

KevinChan
Systems Administrator
Administrative Computing.