using and compiling smb-agent

Joseph A. Martin The LaterDude martinja at ice-works.com
Fri May 19 02:18:09 GMT 2000

Hello,
        I am interested in the samba-agent program distributed with
Samba TNG. Usually I just compile things myself and figure them out,
but I ran into a problem with smb-agent: I can't compile it! Typing
'make bin/smb-agent' compiles a load of other stuff and then bombs out
when the Makefile tries to compile smb-agent itself. Here are the
build errors:

Compiling utils/smb-agent.c
utils/smb-agent.c: In function `init_client_connection':
utils/smb-agent.c:147: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
utils/smb-agent.c: At top level:
utils/smb-agent.c:200: warning: `struct sock_redir' declared inside parameter list
utils/smb-agent.c:200: warning: its scope is only this definition or declaration, which is probably not what you want.
utils/smb-agent.c: In function `process_cli_sock':
utils/smb-agent.c:202: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
utils/smb-agent.c:205: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
utils/smb-agent.c:210: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
utils/smb-agent.c:211: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
utils/smb-agent.c:212: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
utils/smb-agent.c:216: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
utils/smb-agent.c:222: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
utils/smb-agent.c:226: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
utils/smb-agent.c: At top level:
utils/smb-agent.c:249: warning: `struct sock_redir' declared inside parameter list
utils/smb-agent.c: In function `process_srv_sock':
utils/smb-agent.c:272: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
utils/smb-agent.c:276: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
utils/smb-agent.c:277: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
utils/smb-agent.c:279: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
utils/smb-agent.c:285: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
utils/smb-agent.c: In function `start_smb_agent':
utils/smb-agent.c:320: variable `va' has initializer but incomplete type
utils/smb-agent.c:321: warning: excess elements in struct initializer
utils/smb-agent.c:321: warning: (near initialization for `va')
utils/smb-agent.c:322: warning: excess elements in struct initializer
utils/smb-agent.c:322: warning: (near initialization for `va')
utils/smb-agent.c:323: warning: excess elements in struct initializer
utils/smb-agent.c:323: warning: (near initialization for `va')
utils/smb-agent.c:324: warning: excess elements in struct initializer
utils/smb-agent.c:324: warning: (near initialization for `va')
utils/smb-agent.c:325: warning: excess elements in struct initializer
utils/smb-agent.c:325: warning: (near initialization for `va')
utils/smb-agent.c:326: warning: excess elements in struct initializer
utils/smb-agent.c:326: warning: (near initialization for `va')
utils/smb-agent.c:328: warning: excess elements in struct initializer
utils/smb-agent.c:328: warning: (near initialization for `va')
utils/smb-agent.c:320: storage size of `va' isn't known
make: *** [utils/smb-agent.o] Error 1

I am running TNG alpha 2.5.3.

Since I can't figure smb-agent out for myself and am not very good at
reading C code I will ask my questions. From all of the build
dependencies it appears that smb-agent only runs with TNG. Is this a
good assumption? Also, if programs such as gnomba are recompiled
against TNG will they magically use smb-agent? Does support for
smb-agent have to be specifically written into an application? How
hard is this to do?

thanks for the help.
later,
joseph
--
the "LaterDude"
ICQ: 52640402
martinja at ice-works.com
http://www.ice-works.com/personal/LaterDude/index.html

All opinions expressed are my own and not necessarily those of
my employer unless otherwise noted.