samba/TNG as PDC with WinNT4 as BDC

Mike Brodbelt m.brodbelt at acu.ac.uk
Tue May 23 10:44:31 GMT 2000

Paul J Collins wrote:

>     Kevin> This is all correct, but I haven't heard of any Unix
>     Kevin> variant that doesn't include an MDA by default, and IMAP
>     Kevin> servers are easy to come by.  Maybe I got this all wrong,
>     Kevin> but it sounded like you were saying this was a drawback to
>     Kevin> using qmail, which simply isn't true.
>
> No, all I was saying is that Exchange and qmail are not equivalent,
> and to say that you use qmail in preference to Exchange imples that
> they are.

Personally, I'd use a combination of MTA and IMAP to achieve Exchange
"equivalence" in loose terms. However, for those who really *need*
Exchange features and Outlook integration HP OpenMail is apparently a
drop-in Exchange replacement. There is a Linux version which is free for
evaluation purposes, and you can upgrade the eval version to a full
license free of charge  if you're serving up to 50 users. Above that,
you have to pay, but I'd think it's be worth it to avoid the pain of
having to deal with Exchange.

HTH,

Mike.