Next stable version of Samba.

Chris Tooley ctooley at joslyn.org
Wed May 17 21:39:07 GMT 2000

I think this is a great idea.  I'm getting a little worried about the
enormous jump from 2.0.x versions of Samba to what I am seeing come
together from the HEAD and TNG branches of the code.  I slightly smaller
jump, named 2.2.x that would allow a transition in steps would be a nice
way to make the baby steps.  We're currently deciding if we want to stay
with NT 4.0 based Domains or upgrade to Win2000 and ADS, and I see that
as a huge headache of a migration.  I see going from 2.0.x to TNG or
HEAD almost as bad (although on a somewhat totally different level :)),
a "first step" to the upgrade would be welcomed in my opinion.

Plus 2.0.7 seems to be stable, for us, and works perfectly, for the
features the 2.0.x line can support, with no more adjustments (I'm sure
this is not an absolute for everyone).  The next logical step is the new
features, not necessarily fixing the features that work, at least for
me.

Chris Tooley