TNG "no locking available" error, HP/UX

nazard at dragoninc.on.ca nazard at dragoninc.on.ca
Thu Mar 30 06:03:11 GMT 2000

On 30 Mar, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> hi doug, good to hear from you again.

yeah, the samba list has been spotty and I haven't been paying attention
too much <g>

> somebody send us a patch (samba-patches at samba.org)!

if I get some time....

>> Some people do have fully functional NFS locking. If they want to share
>
> under those circumstances, the configure test will succeed and samba will
> be happy, and off it goes.
>
> i just had a quick word with andrew: apparently we used to put up a
> warning, which used to be ignored, and people got data corruption as a
> result.
>
> so we terminate, now.

But this should be a runtime test. This isn't going to help joe user
who installs an RPM, and points it to /nfs_share. I also seem to
remember something about an OS which when doing locking of NFS, only
locked the file locally. It'll pass the test, but fail the run <g>.

Got to love the computer industry.

--
Doug Nazar
Dragon Computer Consultants Inc.