problem with exiting profiles when switching from NT4 to Samba 2.0.6

Jerome Alet alet at unice.fr
Wed Mar 22 15:26:00 GMT 2000

Hi,

I'm currently switching my PDC from a NT4 machine to a Samba 2.0.6 one,
and I change my domain name as well at the same time.

it works fine for now (3 hours only ;-), but I've got a small problem:

existing (from the old domain) roving NT4WKS profiles seem to be readonly.
The existing profiles and home directories were already served by the same
samba machine, but with a samba-1.9.18 version, the NT4 server just did
the authentication. I'm upgrading to samba-2.0.6 and NT-to-the-trashcan
versions.

I can't even change the screen background, I've got an error message
saying that NT is unable to display my new wallpaper. It's impossible to
change IE's preferences and some other softwares' as well.

I've deleted all local profiles to be sure that the server profiles would
be downloaded: it's ok, but they are really read-only: it doesn't seem to
be a synchronisation problem between the wks and the server because I've
got error messages before doing any modification. The files are named
NTuser.DAT, not NTuser.MAN of course.

If I delete the server and local profiles and then recreate them when
opening a new connection, it works fine and read-write without changing
any configuration in smb.conf.

I know I could delete all profiles and recreate them, because I really
have only ten accounts, but I wonder if another solution exists or not
because one of my accounts is very important and have lots of software
installed so I don't know if they will all work after that.

any help, idea or link will be much appreciated.

thanks in advance.

Jerome ALET - alet at unice.fr - http://cortex.unice.fr/~jerome
Faculte de Medecine de Nice - http://noe.unice.fr - Tel: 04 93 37 76 30
28 Avenue de Valombrose - 06107 NICE Cedex 2 - FRANCE