network recycle bin

tschweikle at FIDUCIA.de tschweikle at FIDUCIA.de
Tue Mar 7 22:16:59 GMT 2000

jan.van.rensburg at epiuse.com:

> why do you need the functionality on the client? when
> the samba server receives the recquest for a delete,
> it can just put the file into some designated area.
> the client thinks the files is really deleted, although
> on the server side it was just moved.

Korrect, but this would not give you the same behavour:
Win NT/9x is able to move something put into trash back
to its old place if you decide to recyle it. With samba
providing this facility will be difficult if not impossible.

hmm ---  Windows does it storing this data in a hidden
INFO2 file within the ?:\RECYCLED directories. These having
system attribute set. Creating a directory having the same
contents as the original RECYCLED one may reveal this
functionality for at least one client. I will give this
a try. Maybe Windows itself does Provide the functionality
without changes to samba.

Second: suppose two users having different files with the
same name. Putting them in one trash would clobber the
one put there first. You would have to provide for as
many trashes as there are users to make this work savely
and reliable.