neme resolution

Jens B. Jorgensen jens.jorgensen at cmgisolutions.com
Fri Jun 30 16:19:38 GMT 2000

You're just getting started. Run a network trace sometime and wonder at the
"extra" netbt-ns operations that go on which I guess have to do with, I'm
guessing, browse master stuff or something like that. Also, you'll discover
that Win95 boxes only answer packets which have a source port of 137. This is
extremely annoying since in unix you have to be root to use ports <= 1024.
Also this means you can't have more than one program listening on this port
and expect things to work normally. Fun! But at any rate, you're right,
windows doesn't do any special encoding to look up NETBIOS names in DNS,
although it's pretty easy to see that it should to work with all allowable
NETBIOS names.

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
jens.jorgensen at cmgisolutions.com