Samba 2.0.7 as pdc and about 40 clients Win95/98 ?

David Bannon D.Bannon at latrobe.edu.au
Mon Jun 26 23:27:54 GMT 2000

At 11:15 PM 26/06/2000 +1000, Klaus Zieger wrote:

>    a maximum of 90 users, on the average there  are about 30 logons but
>there frequent logoffs and logons simultaneously) ?   I would be most
>grateful if anybody could send me  an example of his smb.conf file.  build
>up  a small network with 3 clients (1 Samba PDC, 3 Win9x clients) and it
>works just  fine. I'm battlehardenend as far as WIN NT4.0 is concerned and
>can take quite  some frustration - as you can probably imagine !! A
>Linux-Newcomer Klaus Zieger / Nuremberg in  Germany

(Bit hard to include a sensible part of your message, you have sent
formatted text to the mailing list, naughty !)

I have some 130 users here hanging mostly NT4ws (sp4) but a few win95 (and
no win98 ) and a couple of macs using Dave. At any one time there are
typically 80 active logins. The PDC is a RH 5.2 running samba on a PII-350
with 256meg ram. Load based performance does not seem to be a problem, that
is things don't slow down significantly at full load compared to early
morning when there are less people on.

However :
We dont store the main applications on the server, only data. ie MS Office
etc is installed locally on each PC.
We do have a couple of other (linux) servers doing some other tasks such as
mail, httpd, dhcp etc.

Have a look at my web site http://bioserve.latrobe.edu.au/samba/index.html
for a sample config file for 2.0.7 as a pdc.

David
David Bannon                      D.Bannon at latrobe.edu.au
School of Biochemistry            Phone 61 03 9479 2197
La Trobe University, Plenty Rd,   Fax   61 03 9479 2467
Bundoora, Vic, Australia, 3083    http://bioserve.latrobe.edu.au