informations NT PDC

David Stanaway dstanawa at netventures.com.au
Mon Jun 19 14:28:10 GMT 2000

On Tue, 20 Jun 2000, C.Lee Taylor wrote:

> First creat a user for the machine, don't forget to CAPs the user ending with $ ie.
>
> adduser WSTATION$
>
> then creat machine account in smbpasswd using
>
> smbpasswd -a -m WSTATION$
>
> then in properties for network change to new domain.  This should change the machine accounts password.
>
> This worked for me, only after I caps the machine name.

I am glad someone else asked this question.  I could find no mention of
MAC files in my rough searches of the docs and was thinking I was going a
bit loopy.

Anyway, on Debian, you might have more luck with this:
plug:~# useradd 'BUZZ$'
plug:~# smbpasswd -a -m 'BUZZ'
Added user BUZZ$.
Password changed for user BUZZ$.

Where BUZZ is the machine name. (Debians adduser script does not permit
usernames with $ in them Even with --force-badname)

--
Best Regards
David Stanaway