Hooking up

Mike Brodbelt m.brodbelt at acu.ac.uk
Wed Jun 14 17:26:15 GMT 2000

Mike Westkamper wrote:

> As long-time lurker here with a couple of successful installs I thought
> this one would be a breeze. No so.
> I have the RedHat 6.1 distribution set up on an Intel box. SAMBA 2.0.6
> is configured as a member of an NT domain. The PDC is a NT 4.0(sp5) box.
> I followed the HOWTO on SAMBA.org web site for setting up SAMBA as a
> member. From the Linux system it reports that it joined the domain. From
> command line on an NT system I can NET USE the share (NET USE K:
> \\192.168.1.100\public) and read access the files in the share.
>
> Three problems...
>
> 1.    The PDC server manager reports "Network path not found" when I
> attempt to look at the Linux/SAMBA Server.
> 2.    The Linux/SAMBA box does not appear on browse (Network) desktop
> folders on any NT boxes

Both of these are related to NetBIOS naming problems. Need more info to
solve really... Try posting your smb.conf. Broadcast resolution isn't
working, but you've got at least some functionality as p-node resolution
(used when you type "net use") is OK.

> 3.    I cannot seem to write onto the shared drive.

Check that the share is set to read/write in smb.conf. Then check that
the Windows user attached to the share maps to a Unix user with
permissions to write files in that directory. Samba doesn't override
underlying filesystem permissions....

HTH,

Mike