reproducable netlogon problem

Matthew Flanagan samba-ntdom-interest at enstor.com.au
Wed Jun 14 01:23:37 GMT 2000

Hi,

I have been trying to get the following setup working:

* "jin" - SAMBA_TNG (checked out 13/6/2000) running on stock RedHat 6.2
( kernel 2.2.14) configured as PDC.
* "nwrsvr" - NT 4.0 SP 5 (standalone) as client.

I have followed the setup instructions in the TNG FAQ and created the
appropriate workstation accounts and user accounts (and domain user
mappings) as shown below.

[root at jin var]# samedit -S . -U root
added interface ip=192.168.1.51 bcast=192.168.1.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
Enter Password:
[root at .]$ enumusers
enumusers
SAM Enumerate Users
User RID:      1f4  User Name: Administrator
User RID:     13b4  User Name: mpf
User RID:     13c8  User Name: nwrsvr$

The problem I am having occurs when I log in as user. First of all I am
informed that my "roaming profile is not available, the operating system
is attempting to log you on with your local profile". Clicking OK
proceeds to the desktop. Then when I try to browse the shares on the
SAMBA_TNG server I am prompted for a username and password. Entering a
valid username and password here fails every time.

If I then immediately restart samba and try the browse the shares again
it succeeds without prompting me for a username or password.

I can reproduce this very reliably by just logging out and repeating the
above steps for any user.

Below is the smb.conf that I am using. It is basically the same as the
SAMBA_TNG FAQ example config. I can provide the logs and packet traces
on request.

Has anyone else seen this problem?

Is there a solution/patch for this?

regards

matthew

--- smb.conf ---

[global]

#NetBIOS name isn't needed if it's the same as the hostname
#netbios name = JIN
workgroup = DOMAIN
#password level = 8

#flat files that map Unix groups to NT type groups.
#these files take the form unix_group = `Windows NT group''
domain group map = /usr/local/samba-tng/lib/domaingroup.map
domain user map = /usr/local/samba-tng/lib/domainuser.map
#domain alias map = /opt/samba-tng/private/domainalias.map

#Domain controllers use user security and we need encrypted
#passwords (see ENCRYPTION.txt)
security = user
domain logons = yes
encrypt passwords = yes

#And in order for us to be *sure* to win browser elections
os level = 65
domain master = yes
preferred master = yes
local master = yes

#WINS is the equivalent of DNS for NetBIOS.
wins support = yes
time server = yes

#the next lines are equivalent to the various profile details
#found in NT's User Manager
#logon script = login.bat
logon drive = U:
logon home = \\jin\%U
logon path = \\jin\profile\%U

#share all home directories
[homes]
browseable = no
writable = yes
comment = Users' home directories

#set up netlogon share for system policies and login scripts
[netlogon]
path = /usr/local/samba-tng/netlogon
writable = no
guest ok = no
comment = PDC netlogon share

#the profiles share
#to create automatic subdirs for the different users
#chmod 1777 /opt/samba-tng/profile
[profile]
path = /usr/local/samba-tng/profile
writeable = yes