drop NT-server

Günter Bielenberg Bielenberg at t-online.de
Tue Jul 11 21:11:58 GMT 2000

Hi,

I am running a net of about 10 NT4-workstations and a NT4-server as PDC.
Another Linux-2.2-Server routes into the internet. Now I have installed
Samba 2.0.7 to use this server as a PDC. It already stores the profiles
of the users and I think, it also can do this little authentification
job too.
But if I try to take the NT-Server out of the net I am not able to get
my users into the new _old_ net.

What I did:
-created Unix-accounts for every workstation, put them into the
smbpasswd with 'smbpasswd -a -w <ws>$'
-created Unix-accounts for every user, put them into smbpasswd with
'smbpasswd -a <user> <password>'
-logged out the workstations out of the domain
-removed the NT-server
-restarted samba with a new smb.conf to act as PDC
-logged in the workstations to the domain (same name, but now on samba)
-got the message: 'successfully joined the domain'

Now the only user who can log in is the administrator of the
workstation, all other users get the message 'wrong password'. What went
wrong?
Could anybody give me a step-by-step help or show me, where to find it?

Thanks in advance

Günter