Samba error

Buchan Milne bgmilne at ing.sun.ac.za
Sat Jul 8 10:36:32 GMT 2000

Hi,

This might be a bit OT, but this machine is _going_ to be our PDC.

I have been running samba 2.0.7 (installed from libc contribs rpms) on Mandrake 7.1. I have
compiled a new kernel (2.2.16-9) from Mandrake to enable support for udma66. It looks like I
picked up problems after that. Now the output of smbstatus is as follows:

> Samba version 2.0.7
> Service      uid      gid      pid     machine
> bench        bgmilne  adm       1784   caedrawing6 (w.x.y.z) Fri Jul  7 19:56:53 2000
>
> Can't initialise shared memory - exiting

(w.x.y.x is where the real ip address was)
It also said something like "Unable to open IPC area" or such (wasn't caught by "smbstatus >
file")

Any help would be appreciated on fixing this problem, or where to start looking . I have
browsed the samba log files, but mostly get the above 2 messages.

Thanks
Buchan