Win98 access denied to Samba PDC

Dave Brooks, BCS Systems dave at bcs.co.nz
Sat Jan 29 04:18:05 GMT 2000

Hi there,

Any hints and tips please...

We have just installed a Linux system (Mandrake 6.1) with Samba 2.0.5a
acting as a PDC and are trying to get Win98 clients to connect to it.

The network consists of the Linux box and Win98 clients. The O'Reilly book
"Using SAMBA" has been our 'bible'.

1)	All is well if Samba is not setup to be a PDC - the clients can find
shares.

2)	We then enable the PDC options:
		domain logons = yes
		security = user
		os level = 34
		local master = yes
		preferred master = yes
		domain master = yes

and define a [netlogon] share (and create the directory), and setup Win98
to logon to the domain.

At logon time we get "The domain password you supplied is not correct, or
access to your logon server has been denied."  Win98 finds the PDC which
then denies access.

'smbclient' allows access to the share (prompting for the password).

Help!

Many thanks,

Dave Brooks