Win98 access denied to Samba PDC

Jens Skripczynski Skripi at hrzpub.tu-darmstadt.de
Sat Jan 29 08:36:43 GMT 2000

Dave Brooks, BCS Systems:
> Hi there,
>
> Any hints and tips please...
>
> We have just installed a Linux system (Mandrake 6.1) with Samba 2.0.5a
> acting as a PDC and are trying to get Win98 clients to connect to it.

First, before anybody else mentions it. This List is contributed to
NT clients and SAMBA, As Windows 9x has no PDC funktionality as Domain,
trusted Domains, User Rights, File Permissions....

2nd)
It would be better if you paste the whole smb.conf.

Do you use encrypted Passwords and have you added each user via smbpasswd ?
Do the Win98 Computers see you Linux Box in the Network neighbourhood ?
Can you reach your box via Ping ?
What do the Logfiles complain about ?

Ciao

Jens Skripczynski
E-Mail: skripi at hrzpub.tu-darmstadt.de

Computers are like airconditioners: They stop working
properly if you open windows.