[samba-tng] spoolss conversion and others

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at samba.org
Fri Jan 28 21:17:18 GMT 2000

On Sat, 29 Jan 2000, Aaron D. Brooks wrote:

> > You never saw sysadmins adding users by editing /etc/passwd
> > directly? Well... I'm one of these. ;)
>
> :r! perl -e'print crypt("password","/.");' works pretty well for adding
> the crypt entry in VIM. Who needs anything else? ;) (either that or doing
> 3DES in one's head can also do the trick.)

> > > there's alsways rpcclient samsync command for that one, you know :)
>
> I'm sorry I don't know the details but does samsync pass the SAM as the
> one big hive file or as a series of records. If you need a program (the

firstly, it's a "pull" not a "push".  and it's done as a series of records
using an MSRPC function call (it's pretty nifty design, the NETLOGON
stuff, i'm actually really impressed with it).

> code in particular) to read the SAM or any hive file for that matter I
> have a project that I have been sitting on for about 6 months which reads
> raw hive files and can dump any info you'd want. It is currently wired to
> dump out to a REGEDIT4 format. Let me know if this is good or helpful or
> useful.

really???

hmmm...

i don't think it's useful here, but i do...  *click*  it takes registry
hives?  do you have writing-side code as well?   have you seen nico's
"dosreg" code?

does it do security descriptors as well?

if so, your code could be used to write a registry implementation.

one thing i really, really, really want to be able to do is to be able to
shut down an nt PDC, take the *original* registry files, move them to a
samba server and just GO.

and noone notices the difference.

it also means that if your boss said, "i know it's more reliable, but you
should have asked first, so please slow the quad-pentium box we spent ten
grand on and half a million on nt licenses down again by installing nt on
it, not linux", you can say "ok" instead of "errr"